Measure Legal Technology Return on Investment
Published on : 16/11/2022 16 November Nov 11 2022
How to be a better steward of your legal office resourcesAt its core, investing in legal technology is a business decision. You must consider if the benefits outweigh the costs. The return on investment must be sufficient to justify the time and money spent upgrading the infrastructure and skills of a legal team.
A return-on-investment (ROI) calculation supports the decision-making process with realistic numbers and variable flexibility to account for various users and use cases.
According to Gartner Research, technology buyers highly approve of value assessment tools. This article discusses the metrics legal teams should consider when calculating ROI for tech-assisted legal services and how to calculate ROI.
Legal Suite frequently provides solutions to increase legal and business teams' efficiency, profitability, and productivity. This overview of Legal Suite's ROI calculation provides a data-driven framework for helping you state your business case.
How to Calculate ROI for Legal tech?
Best practice Tip: User adoption and change management revolving around technology should be considered when factoring ROI.
Before you plug numbers into the ROI formula, you must determine your costs and benefits:
- Obtain estimates for hardware and software
- Keep track of time spent on research
- Budget time/resources for concept demonstration
- Obtain vendor agreement on the time and resources required for:
- Ongoing management
- Estimate the value of any soft costs:
- How much time is lost correcting errors?
- What are the potential repercussions of data loss, non-compliance, etc.?
- How much time is lost due to slow response times?
- What are the consequences of slow response times?
- Establish baselines for time and resources:
- Ask users to demonstrate how they currently perform tasks or perform the work yourself and document it. Count seconds/minutes, mouse clicks, and screen transitions!
- Examine the current output for quality – note any errors and how long it takes to correct them
- Examine the same procedure utilizing the proposed solution, count clicks, and screen transitions
What to Estimate?
Best practice Tip: In any ROI calculation, it is essential to include valuation for soft costs; examples can include sick days for staff, missed deadlines, or an error in a contract requiring an amendment.
Let's distinguish between "hard" and "soft" cost benefits.
Step 1: Cost CalculationHard costs are verifiable expenses, whereas soft costs are challenging to quantify.
Hard Costs examples
- Licenses and associated costs
- Time spent researching suppliers and products
- Conceptual proof – time and resources
- Development and arrangement
- Overheads like admin and ongoing help desk
- Internal clients using outdated templates
- Attorneys forced to create excel spreadsheets to track emails and responses
- Time wasted searching for documents
- Tracking the advice dispensed
- Numerous and tedious tasks required for a simple output
Step 2: Benefits Calculation
Hard Benefits examples
- Greater productivity – decreased time and resources required to accomplish a goal
- Less risk of mistakes
- Fewer back and forth communication to achieve a goal
- Improved standing and client satisfaction
- Quicker, agile responsiveness
- Less anxiety – people can rely on technology and work with greater assurance
Step 3: Evaluate Spreadsheet Values
Best practice Tip: Focus on multi-year ROI. Typically, the ROI for the first year will be lower due to initial costs such as research, proof of concept testing, development, and initial implementation. Later years will not incur these expenses. Thus, the ROI will increase.
Ready to calculate the Digital transformation Investment?
Our ROI Calculator now makes this possible.
You Can also et Started With This Free Checklist to Improve your Legal Practice TodayRelated Blogs:
How Digital Transformation Can Give Legal Firms a Competitive Edge (legal-suite.com)
The Secret to Simple Effective Management of Legal Processes (legal-suite.com)
About the author:
Legal Suite is the worldwide leader in digital transformation for lawyers. We have delivered our state-of-the-art software for lawyers, law firms, and in-house general counsel to 65,000 users for over two decades. www.legal-suite.com
When IT convinces Legal to Buy A Software. But How Does it Work?
Published on : 13/03/2023 13 March Mar 03 2023BlogThe IT department is usually involved in the decision-making process regard...
Does IT understand the GOALS of Legal When Recommending Technology?
Published on : 07/03/2023 07 March Mar 03 2023BlogWhen it comes to procurement, the IT department often has a lot of say in w...
Overcoming Barriers to Legal Technology Adoption
Published on : 20/12/2022 20 December Dec 12 2022BlogIt is well-documented that upgrading legal technology can improve efficiencie...
Measure Legal Technology Return on Investment
Published on : 16/11/2022 16 November Nov 11 2022BlogArticlesHow to be a better steward of your legal office resources At its core, inves...
The Secret to Simple Effective Management of Legal Processes
Published on : 04/02/2022 04 February Feb 02 2022BlogWhen in-house counsel, law firms and lawyers are looking to enhance, create,...
How Much More Can You Do With Quick Retrieval Of Your Legal Files
Published on : 04/02/2022 04 February Feb 02 2022BlogLaw firms and corporate legal departments often have a massive load of unstru...
How Digital Transformation Can Give Legal Firms a Competitive Edge
Published on : 04/02/2022 04 February Feb 02 2022BlogHere are a few tips to get your organization started on its digital transform...
Why In-house Legal Counsel Can’t Do Without a Secure Communications Workspace
Published on : 04/02/2022 04 February Feb 02 2022BlogThe power of technology-driven collaboration to drive organizational protecti...
Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to Improve Legal Operations
Published on : 13/12/2021 13 December Dec 12 2021BlogIn-house counsel and law firms' operations managers have many issues to addre...