Measure Legal Technology Return on Investment
Published on : 16/11/2022 16 November Nov 11 2022
How to be a better steward of your legal office resourcesAt its core, investing in legal technology is a business decision. You must consider if the benefits outweigh the costs. The return on investment must be sufficient to justify the time and money spent upgrading the infrastructure and skills of a legal team.
A return-on-investment (ROI) calculation supports the decision-making process with realistic numbers and variable flexibility to account for various users and use cases.
According to Gartner Research, technology buyers highly approve of value assessment tools. This article discusses the metrics legal teams should consider when calculating ROI for tech-assisted legal services and how to calculate ROI.
Legal Suite frequently provides solutions to increase legal and business teams' efficiency, profitability, and productivity. This overview of Legal Suite's ROI calculation provides a data-driven framework for helping you state your business case.
How to Calculate ROI for Legal tech?
Best practice Tip: User adoption and change management revolving around technology should be considered when factoring ROI.
Before you plug numbers into the ROI formula, you must determine your costs and benefits:
- Obtain estimates for hardware and software
- Keep track of time spent on research
- Budget time/resources for concept demonstration
- Obtain vendor agreement on the time and resources required for:
- Ongoing management
- Estimate the value of any soft costs:
- How much time is lost correcting errors?
- What are the potential repercussions of data loss, non-compliance, etc.?
- How much time is lost due to slow response times?
- What are the consequences of slow response times?
- Establish baselines for time and resources:
- Ask users to demonstrate how they currently perform tasks or perform the work yourself and document it. Count seconds/minutes, mouse clicks, and screen transitions!
- Examine the current output for quality – note any errors and how long it takes to correct them
- Examine the same procedure utilizing the proposed solution, count clicks, and screen transitions
What to Estimate?
Best practice Tip: In any ROI calculation, it is essential to include valuation for soft costs; examples can include sick days for staff, missed deadlines, or an error in a contract requiring an amendment.
Let's distinguish between "hard" and "soft" cost benefits.
Step 1: Cost CalculationHard costs are verifiable expenses, whereas soft costs are challenging to quantify.
Hard Costs examples
- Licenses and associated costs
- Time spent researching suppliers and products
- Conceptual proof – time and resources
- Development and arrangement
- Overheads like admin and ongoing help desk
- Internal clients using outdated templates
- Attorneys forced to create excel spreadsheets to track emails and responses
- Time wasted searching for documents
- Tracking the advice dispensed
- Numerous and tedious tasks required for a simple output
Step 2: Benefits Calculation
Hard Benefits examples
- Greater productivity – decreased time and resources required to accomplish a goal
- Less risk of mistakes
- Fewer back and forth communication to achieve a goal
- Improved standing and client satisfaction
- Quicker, agile responsiveness
- Less anxiety – people can rely on technology and work with greater assurance
Step 3: Evaluate Spreadsheet Values
Best practice Tip: Focus on multi-year ROI. Typically, the ROI for the first year will be lower due to initial costs such as research, proof of concept testing, development, and initial implementation. Later years will not incur these expenses. Thus, the ROI will increase.
Ready to calculate the Digital transformation Investment?
Our ROI Calculator now makes this possible.
You Can also et Started With This Free Checklist to Improve your Legal Practice TodayRelated Blogs:
How Digital Transformation Can Give Legal Firms a Competitive Edge (legal-suite.com)
The Secret to Simple Effective Management of Legal Processes (legal-suite.com)
About the author:
Legal Suite is the worldwide leader in digital transformation for lawyers. We have delivered our state-of-the-art software for lawyers, law firms, and in-house general counsel to 65,000 users for over two decades. www.legal-suite.com
From Cost to Profit: How Technology Can Help Corporate Legal Departments Support the Larger Business
Published on : 19/04/2023 19 April Apr 04 2023BlogArticlesLegal departments are often seen as a necessary cost center in a company, a...
When IT convinces Legal to Buy A Software. But How Does it Work?
Published on : 13/03/2023 13 March Mar 03 2023BlogThe IT department is usually involved in the decision-making process regard...
Does IT understand the GOALS of Legal When Recommending Technology?
Published on : 07/03/2023 07 March Mar 03 2023BlogWhen it comes to procurement, the IT department often has a lot of say in w...
Septeo French Tech reference recorded 310 million euros revenues up to 30% compared to 2021 and joins top 10 software players in France
Published on : 24/02/2023 24 February Feb 02 2023Press Release2022 Key figures for Septeo's growth CA 310M€ up 30% between 2021 and...
Legal Suite wins a $2.6M contract with Quebec's Ministry of Justice
Published on : 18/01/2023 18 January Jan 01 2023ArticlesPress ReleaseAs a leader in legal file management, we are pleased to announce that Justi...
Overcoming Barriers to Legal Technology Adoption
Published on : 20/12/2022 20 December Dec 12 2022BlogIt is well-documented that upgrading legal technology can improve efficiencie...
Measure Legal Technology Return on Investment
Published on : 16/11/2022 16 November Nov 11 2022BlogArticlesHow to be a better steward of your legal office resources At its core, inves...
Why Retention of Knowledge and Increasing Employee Satisfaction is Essential to Future Profitability
Published on : 03/10/2022 03 October Oct 10 2022EventsWebinarsDon't miss our newest Webinar hosted by Joan Elizabeth Fox presented to you...
Webinar - Collaboration: At the heart of tomorrow's Legal Departments
Published on : 17/08/2022 17 August Aug 08 2022WebinarsDon't miss our next Webinar hosted by Christophe Borel, Dorothey Hebert and...